This year in our performance guide, we are focusing on the ever-popular LS family of engines in use on today's builds. Given the platforms dependability in daily driving situations, these engines have proven that they are here to stay. Aftermarket manufacturers have also recognized the importance of the LS family of engines, and have been working hard to satisfy the consumer needs that go along with installing them. Some of the products they have developed include motor mounts, oil pans, intakes, bolt kits, serpentine systems and the large array of engine harnesses that are being incorporated for these engines.
Most LS engines run well because of their practical internal design, which includes a roller system and a need to run the synthetic oil to allow the parts to run properly. Most manufacturers will have the oil that they recommend along with the proper weight, which is usually much thinner than the traditional 10W-40 that most engines use. If you own an older vehicle, you need to make sure to use oil with zinc additive if not; you might risk blowing up your engine. You should look into Lucas Oil, a product that has become a key player in lube for vintage and modern engines.
As I mentioned earlier, these LS transplants are becoming easier as the harnesses are becoming more readably available in a straightforward, plug and play application. These harnesses, like the Holley brand or Painless brand versions have been modified to eliminate the EGR valves and smog pumps that our classics don't require. These additions keep the engines running so efficiently that it only gives further proof that driving older cars is better and cooler than driving a Prius down the Boulevard! MSD Performance also stepped up their game, as they developed their LS Atomic system, which has helped clean up some of the engines compartments.
As I keep saying for those of you that have already invested so much into your small block and can't just switch out your engine, we haven't turned our backs on you; as we have looked into products that will help your small block run better. Manufacturers like Edelbrock and MSD have stepped to the plate and developed fuel injection for the carbureted market that is ready to convert their classic small block into a fuel injection system. This is a happy medium that will allow your car to run more efficiently without having to swap out the complete engine.
From the proper Lucas lube to the latest engine accessories available for your classic, this guide will be sure to touch upon every subject under your hood and your car's chassis. So if you want to look good under the hood and go fast with a few bolt-on performance products, or if you are like me and are just trying to have reliability with some peace of mind, this guide should help you out.
1. The E-Street EFI System is intended as an affordable, easy to use, fuel injection solution that can be installed on any V-8 engine, originally equipped with a carburetor. The Edelbrock E-Street EFI System includes a pre-assembled throttle body, engine control unit (ECU), 7-inch touch screen tablet PC, high quality wiring harness, wide band O2 sensor and instructions for a hassle free installation. For more information, visit www.edelbrock.com.
2. Flaming River is excited to announce the addition of Billet HD Amp High Output Alternators to their growing line of high performance automotive products. These alternators feature new technologies and increased efficiencies over OEM alternators that equate to excellent output at extremely low engine RPM, more horsepower to the wheels and less energy wasted in the form of heat. For more information, please call 1-800-648-8022 or visit www.flamingriver.com.
3. FAST Self-Tuning Fuel Injection Kits For LS Engines. Both the FAST EZ-EFI and EZ-EFI 2.0 Multi-Port Self Tuning Fuel Injection Kits are perfect options for upgrading LS engines that have been part of an engine swap. Multi-Port Kits are one upgrade that lets users take advantage of these swaps in a big way; the kits allow owners of existing factory or aftermarket equipped, multi-port, fuel injected LS applications to experience the benefits of an EZ-EFI system. There is no limit on horsepower because the system is based on each customer's supplied injectors. They feature a limited lifetime warranty and are backed by the industry's most extensive technical support team if you have questions visit them at www.fuelairspark.com.
4. MSD is breaking new ground in electronic fuel injection with the next generation of Atomic EFI—the all-new Atomic LS system. Where the Atomic TBI consolidated electronics and sensors into the throttle body itself, the LS platform incorporates the electronics into the fuel rails of the system! There's no bulky ECU to mount and therefore no wires to route to and from—it's all on the engine, hidden in plain sight. The Atomic LS will begin learning and tuning your LS engine as soon as you fire it up. Advanced adjustments can be made to air/fuel targets, pump squirt, ignition timing and much more. The self-tuning Atomic LS system will give you the performance and drivability you expect from your LS engine. To learn more log onto www.msdperformance.com.
5. Trans Dapt. There is no better way to finish off the look of a well built vehicle than by replacing the old, beat up, or rusted cover on the differential. Whether you are building your vehicle for show, street, track, or off-road, a new Trans Dapt powder coated aluminum differential cover with polished accents will give you the unique, eye-catching appearance you are looking for. For more information on Trans Dapt's powdercoated differential covers, please call 562-921-0404 or visit www.tdperformance.com.
6. CPP LS kits. It's time to install an engine that requires no maintenance, is super lightweight, puts out unbelievable horsepower and torque yet gives you a vehicle you can just jump in, hit the key and go. CPP's kits will work on all LS motors (except LS7) and '00-and-newer Vortec motors. Kit includes: engine mounts perches, engine mount adapters, engine pads, full length ceramic coated headers, transmission cross-member and all mounting hardware and will work for your vehicle. To learn more about the kits available call (866) 593-2631 or visit them on the web at www.classicperform.com.
7. QA1 Custom Mount Shocks. Get the perfect shock for your lowrider with QA1. Designed for great performance and show-stopping appearance, QA1's custom mount shocks are available in coil-over or smooth body options to get the ride you want. With multiple valving options available including double, single, rebound, ride sensitive and non-adjustable, QA1 has the perfect shock for your ride. QA1's aluminum shocks made in the USA and are 100 percent dyno tested before leaving our Minnesota facility. For any questions feel free to call 800-721-7761 or visit them at ww.QA1.net.
8. Powermaster's newest addition to the LS starter line is their Powermax starter, part number 9109. With a lightweight permanent magnet design, the 9109 provides higher cranking torque with low amperage draw for engines up to 10:1 compression. A 1.2kw starter motor and 6:1 planetary gear ratio result in a 7.5lb starter that packs a big punch in a small package. 12 clocking positions allow the already featherweight starter to fit in even more positions to clear headers, kick out oil pans, factory cooling lines, and more. To learn more look them up at www.powermasterperformance.com.
9. PROFORM PARTS LS1 rockers are available in 1.7-ratio (#67940) or 1.8-ratio (#67941) and are installed with normal hand tools. Simply remove the factory rocker and rocker stands, and install these new PROFORM roller rockers. It is recommended to always check head and valve cover clearance and that you have the correct lifter preload. This is particularly important when changing camshafts or having the heads machined. Also make sure the pushrods are the correct length for your modifications. You can find out more about these roller rockers and their complete line of internal and external engine parts and tools at www.proformparts.com.
10. Holley's GM LS Retrofit Engine Oil Pan lets you install an LS engine in a variety of GM muscle car and truck chassis. It's the only LS retrofit oil pan with OEM fitment, oil filter mounting, oil cooler port provision, NVH suppression, flange gasket and sealing, and bell housing attachments. The pans are manufactured from high-quality cast aluminum and include a sump baffle, oil pump pickup tube, sump plug, oil filter stud, and oil passage cover. This pan fits all 4.8L-6.0L GM LS-series engines in '55-'87 GM cars and trucks. To learn more about this and other Holley products visit them on line at www.holley.com.
11. Scat Engine rotating assemblies are designed to meet the needs of most power and budget levels. Hundreds of kits are available-from cast crank combos to all-out forged sets capable of supporting well over 1,000 hp. You get the parts you want, save money, and have the satisfaction of building your dream engine yourself. The rotating assembly kits have high-quality Scat 9000 cast or 4340 forged cranks, standard, I-beam, or H-beam connecting rods, 3/8-inch or 7/16-inch rod bolts, bearings from King, Federal Mogul, or Clevite 77, and pistons and ring sets from SRP, JE Pistons, Ross, Keith Black, Diamond, or Probe. Many come balanced from the factory, saving you even more time and coin, www.scatcrankshafts.com.
12. Tuff Stuff water pump that moves plenty of coolant—and looks good doing it! These new (not remanufactured) pumps are available for several four and six-cylinder engines, as well as many popular V-8s—including the legendary Small Block 350. Gaskets are included. To learn more visit them at www.tuffstuffperformance.com.
13. Demon carburetor, the Street Demon, is a 625 cfm, vacuum secondary carburetor that offers enthusiasts a clean, straightforward design that delivers smooth performance, an amazingly crisp throttle response, and a stable idle. The Street Demon carburetor comes with an electric choke and fits square-bore and spread-bore intake manifolds. It is available with a ball-burnished or polished main body, or with a composite main body that reduces fuel temperatures up to 20 degrees F. To learn more about this carburetor visit www.demoncarbs.com.
14. Chevrolet Performance Carb-Certified E-Rod LSA crate engine. Emissions-legal supercharged power! Chevrolet Performance's E-ROD LSA crate engine kit was recently certified by CARB for installation in pre-OBD II vehicles ('95-and-earlier) in California. The E-ROD LSA kit is centered around the same 556hp 6.2-liter supercharged engine found in the Cadillac CTS-V series, and it is packaged with emissions equipment and supporting components that enable vintage rides to pass California's stringent emissions tests. For more info go to www.chevroletperformance.com.
15. Pace Exclusive SBC 350/350HP with EFI After testing several combinations on the dyno they came up with this great preforming fuel injected small block Chevy crate engine. They started with the Chevrolet Performance 350HO based on a tough, Chevy four-bolt block that holds a strong nodular iron crankshaft, PM rods, and aluminum pistons. The high-lift camshaft gives the engine its own unique, aggressive idle. The cam is based on the same one found in '65-'67 Corvette 327 engines, but it has even more lift and duration. We topped the 350HO off with the Edelbrock's 7116 Performer RPM Vortec intake and MSD's new Atomic EFI master system. These 350HO EFI engines are individually run for approximately 30 minutes or more on the dyno with various loads applied to insure proper engine break-in. The engine is then allowed to cool for final inspection. We pre-program the MSD's Atomic ECU and run the engine through the self-learn cycle prior to performance dyno pulls and final tuning. Includes a 2-year/50,000-mile parts and labor warranty. For more information visit www.paceperformance.com.
16. CFR Performance direct fit radiator is an exact replacement for '59-'72 Chevy Impala radiators and features an all-aluminum construction with a cross-flow cooling design. Features included are mounting brackets that position it in the stock location for convenient installation, as well as a machined billet filler water neck with overflow fitting. The radiator is constructed with an aluminum two-row furnace brazed core with 1-inch tubes; comparable to a four-core radiator. The Impala direct fit radiator is also available in a polished finish (HZ-5972-POL), or with built-in automatic transmission cooling lines (HZ-5972-AT). To learn more visit CFR Performance at www.cfrperformance.com.
17. COMP Cams Ultra-GoldTM ARC Series. The new ARC series has design updates and new features that take the popular line of rockers to a whole new level. The Ultra-GoldTM ARC Series Aluminum Rocker Arms, featuring an Arced, Recessed, Contoured design. Using cutting edge design techniques and manufacturing processes, Ultra-GoldTM ARC Rockers increase engine power, enhance valve train stability and improve oiling while fitting under stock valve covers. Trunnion retaining clips have been replaced with an ultra durable spiral lock type clip, similar to what holds a piston pin in place. Stress relieving radii have also been added to areas of the body, trunnion and pushrod seat insert. To learn more about this product and other comp products visit them at www.compcams.com.
18. Stromberg Carburetor has launched the first of a new range of ready-to-fit, solid fuel line kits for the ever-popular Genuine Stromberg 97 carburetor. Designed and manufactured exclusively by Stromberg Carburetor, the TwoStep range combines clean, simple looks with leak-free construction and simple installation. The CNC-bent ¼-inch 304 stainless steel lines provide more than enough fuel flow, even on the 3x2 manifolds. The Ford Nut compression fittings retain a traditional look and feel. And the unique stainless tee-pieces (shaped to match Stromberg linkage parts) benefit from leak-free "invisible" furnace brazed joints. If you would like to learn more about this and other Stromberg Carburetors log onto www.stromberg-97.com.
19. EMS The compact S.drives feature pulleys and mounting brackets that are CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum in the USA as well as a full complement of high quality, name brand components from Edelbrock, Mavel, Sanden, and Powermaster. The S.drive systems are available with a raw machined or brightly polished finish as well as in any of their durable Fusioncoat colors. S.drive pulley systems are affordably priced to learn more about this kit call or visit them at 888-813-1293 or www.eddiemotorsports.com.
20. Magnuson Unleash the true potential of your LS1 powered Chevy Corvette with Magnuson's MP112 Supercharger Kit. Available for the '97-'98 Chevrolet Corvette, this bolt on supercharger is designed to deliver maximum performance while retaining factory-like drivability and reliability. Generating 6 psi of boost, the Magnuson MP112 Hybrid Roots Style Supercharger delivers power gains of approximately 120 hp and 120 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels! But peak horsepower and torque numbers don't tell the whole story. "Under the curve" power is significantly enhanced delivering near instantaneous boost and torque upon demand that really pins you back in your seat. To learn more visit them www.magnacharger.com.